This recipe is from Margaret & Jerome from Mesa
Serves: 6. Preparation Time is 15 minutes. Inactive Preparation Time is 00 minutes. Cooking Time is 35 minutes.
- 1 pound swiss chard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash chard and cut up the stems into about 1 inch pieces and cut the leaves in shreds. Steam in the water left on the leaves until limp.
- Make a roux with the olive oil and flour and brown just a bit. Can use bacon grease, vegetable oil, or butter if you choose.
- Squeeze the water from the steamed chard and stir into roux and slowly add milk and garlic and keep stirring until creamy and add the seasonings. You may need to add a bit more milk.
- Some people add nutmeg to this, but our family never did.
This was a favorite dish of our, fresh from Dad’s garden, and it went well with homemade fried chicken or veal cutlets.
Sometimes, if the chard is large, you can keep the stems and cut them up into chop suey.