Print This Page
Mary Ann (full of Grace) from Fountain Hills brought us a sample of these KRAUTBURGERS also known as Runza. I think you will enjoy it. We did!
MAKE DOUBLE THE RECIPE – YOU WILL WANT IT! You can make it into one big one or small individual ones.
This will be great for Sunday BRUNCH served with eggs, also!
- 1 lb. GOOD HAMBURGER
- 1/2 lb. pork sausage
- 1/2 Cup or more fresh cut onion
- 2 Cups fresh cut cabbage Slice like for cabbage slaw. (Could cheat and use Cabbage already cut in BAG -just chop more!)
- 1 small can sauerkraut (drain well and squeeze the juice out) New York style is cut in small pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the shell:
- 1 Box of Pillsbury Hot roll mix
- Swiss cheese or pepper jack approx 1/2 pound – shredded
- Butter to brush on top of dough
- USE YOUR LARGEST FRY PAN, put in hamburger, pork sausage, onion, cabbage, and seasonings, keep mixing and frying until meat browned and vegetables sauteed.
- Add sauerkraut, if long strings, snip into smaller pieces with scissors. Like cut it! Add the kraut to the meat mixture and cook and mix well.
I like it just mixed and not over-cooked.
- Turn off and put all the mixture to one side of fry pan and let it drain. I put something under one side to lift it. REMOVE GREASE AND JUICE. Cool completely.(While still hot put some in between caraway rye bread. Yummmmmm! or put on plate with pieces of cheese and eat with taco chips. Mmmmmmm soooooo GOOD!)
- Prepare the hot roll mix as directed on the box (not necessary to let rise). Divide in 2 pieces.
- Roll out about consistency of pie crust. I put 1st one in cookie pan, spread filling, top with cheese. (Swiss, or hot pepper or ?????) Roll out other 1/2 dough and cover filling.
- Roll under and pinch dough like a covered pizza. Spread some butter on top.
- I would let rise for 15 or 20 mins. Bake 375 for 20 mins. until browned