Print This Page
Heavenly Chocolate Mousse Meringue Cake
This was inspired by a cake I learned to make in France, it is divine!
Thanks Barbara Fenzl
This is Don’s favorite cake
- 1/3 Cup confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 large egg whites – room temperature
- 1- 1/4 cups granulated sugar
Directions for Meringues:
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- With a pencil trace 8 inch circles using to an bowl as a template
- put 2 on 1 baking sheet & 1 on the other.
- Turn the paper over so pencil side is down ( I have made them smaller and used this recipe to make 2)
- On waxed paper sift together the cocoa and confectioners sugar
- Whisk the egg whites ito medium peaks in a bowl or stand mixer on medium speed
- Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, not dry
- Remove from the bowl and using a rubber spatula gently fold cocoa powder & the confectionary sugar mixture into the egg whites, not mix, just fold until blended
- Using a pastry bag with 1/2 inch round pastry tip fill with the meringue .
- Start from the center of each circle and pipe the meringue ina tight spiral to fill the circles to the outer edge.( If you don’t have a bag just spread the meringue and use the back of a spoon and fill in the circles evenly.
- Make squiggly lines or drops along the open spaces on the sheet to be used for decoration
- Bake the meringues until dry usually 1-2 hours
- turn off the oven and leave then another hour
- slide them off and they are ready to assemble
Make Chocolate Mousse Filling & Topping
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE FILLING & TOPPING
This recipe is from Alton Brown, I adjusted it, it is fantastic alone
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 12 ounces quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces espresso or strong coffee
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon flavorless, granulated gelatin
- Chill 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in refrigerator. Hint: Chill metal mixing bowl &mixer beaters in freezer.
- In top of a double boiler, combine chocolate chips, coffee, &butter.
- Melt over barely simmering water, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat while a couple of chunks are still visible.
- Cool, stirring occasionally to just above body temperature.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream into a metal measuring cup and sprinkle in the gelatin.
- Allow gelatin to “bloom” for 10 minutes.
- Then carefully heat by swirling the measuring cup over a low gas flame or candle.
- Do not boil or gelatin will be damaged.
- Stir mixture into the cooled chocolate and set aside.
- In the chilled mixing bowl, beat cream to medium peaks.
- Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream in two doses. There may be streaks of whipped cream in the chocolate and that is fine. Do not over work the mousse.
Now the fun starts. ASSEMBLY
- Lay the first meringue down on your serving plate
- Using a spatula spread less than 1/3 of the mousse over the top
- Lay the second meringue on top then ice that one
- Lay the third meringue on top and ice the rest of the cake including the sides
- Break up the squiggly things or just use them whole on top of the cake and on the sides
- Refrigerate and serve.
- It also freezes beautifully.