Baked Olive Cheese Balls from Sharon in Peoria (This is a picture of Sharon & her Husband Bob at their daughter Beths rehearsal dinner for her wedding)
“These Olive cheese balls are like candy–you can’t stop eating them.” says Sharon
“This recipe is one of several that a now 93-year-old family friend in Kansas City, MO, has given me over the last 45 years. She was and still is the one huge influence in my life who taught me how to cook, bake and to throw a very successful dinner party.”
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 lb butter (1 stick) (real salted butter, not heart smart, etc.)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika (or less depending on taste)
- Jar of green olives with whatever filling inside you want, i.e., stuffed with cheese/pimento/garlic/etc. Drain well and dry off VERY well on paper towels.
- Mix up the dough ingredients ( cheddar, butter flour & paprika) with fork or fingers (fingers work much better) until dough forms.
- Pinch off small amount, roll into ball, flatten and put an olive in the center.
- Bring up edges and make into a ball around the olive, sealing olive inside.
- Place on tray. Repeat till either all dough is used or all olives.
- Can freeze them at this point on ungreased cookie sheet. When frozen solid, put into airtight container. Ready for parties or impromptu guests. Just take out of freezer, DO NOT THAW–
- heat oven to 400, put olives on ungreased cookie sheet and bake until just starting to turn golden brown (approx 15 mins). – longer if frozen. Serve hot or room temp.